Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Self obsessed and mean?

gus - Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Hey, a year or so I remember reading an anecdote of someone who became very self obsessed and mean after starting an anti-depressant. Has anyone ever seen/heard/experienced this? I was trying to remember which specific drug it was. Thanks.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi Gus,

Firstly, it's possible for each of us to have reactions to medications based on our own physiology. For instance, I knew a man who became very angry and obsessive when he was given regular insulin for his diabetes. Obviously, the type of insulin was changed, and he did fine.

Regarding your specific question, Wellbutrin was most likely the medication you read about. While not common, it has been known to cause hostility. Cymbalta has been known to cause irritability, as has Lexapro. When considering the information that any drug may cause an unusual reaction for certain people, that is why Psychiatrists prescribe in lower dosages and tritrate upward for the best effect. The self-obsessed part is most likely part of the depression, when people have the symptom of focusing inwardly. It could also be an exacerbated personality trait.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Faye, RN, MSW