Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: An urge to blurt out loud things heard or read

 SCDisabledvet - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:43 pm

I would like to know what causes me to just blurt out loud things that I hear or read. This has been happening for several years and annoys my family greatly.

For instance someone says something on the TV or radio and I will just yell the last few words that they said. Or I might start yelling out the names of road signs such as Amocco, Outback, Ford, etc.

This does not happen all the time, nor does it last more than a few seconds each time. The problem is that it occurs frequently enough that it annoys my wife and kids.

Any help on the reason why it happens or how to treat it would help.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri May 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Hello SCDisabledvet,

To my knowledge, the most likely cause of your behavior issue is related to the PTSD. The traumatic stress may have been lessened over the years, but it is still a factor in how you cope with life's stress in general. Your response to stress is very likely a coping mechanism. Even subconsciously, when stress has built to an uncomfortable level, you may be releasing it through the loud comments. Since it's a negative event to your wife and kids, that helps build more stress for you to cope with. The answer may sound simple - that is, help you find a different coping style - but isn't. An evaluation to rule out any other possibilities is warranted, followed by finding some behavior modification techniques that you can use and your family can help you with. If you are medically treated by the VA system, get in touch with the local representative and request his/her assistance in following this plan. If you are treated in the public sector, testing by a licensed psychologist followed by a psychiatric evaluation and probable treatment is indicated.

Good luck to you and your family.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us