Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Can meds help treat operant conditioning?

srulikg - Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:04 am

Hello. First I want to say that I've always been normal.
But constant exposure to distraction in my peripheral vision every day in school caused me to have a mental illness. What happens is I'm sensitive to every movement in my peripheral vision. I can't stand people in my line of sight.
I get nervous and lose control.
I understand it's a form of operant conditioning, that the subconcious is controlling it and that's why I have no control over it.
Do you have ANY idea if medications can help treat the problem?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Hello, srulikg,

Medications can very definitely help treatment along with operant conditioning. Is your diagnosis your own, or have you been evaluated by a psychologist or psychiatrist? That you are in school tells me that you are a relatively young person. That actually can be a factor in your diagnosis. Some conditions become most clear when a person is in their late teens or early 20s, particularly those involving a thought disorder. Before anyone should recommend a medication, you should have a thorough evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist. You are not able to cope well with your stressors, so I urge you to make an appointment as soon as you can.

Good luck to you.