Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Body Image Agnosia

datsu - Fri May 08, 2009 12:57 am

I have tried to know the exact meaning and specifics of, Body Image Agnosia, through online search engine, but to no avail. Can you explain what is Body Image Agnosia and its symptoms, or correlation to mental disorders? Thank you for your time.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu May 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Hello datsu,

Body Image Agnosia may consist of several types or a combination of them. The basic definition is the loss of comprehension of sensation(s) although the sensory sphere is intact. There may be a mental inability to interpret sounds, an inability to recognize one's own fingers or those of others, an inability to interpret visual images, or a inability to distinguish objects by sense of touch. It takes considerable medical evaluation to determine the cause. It can be due to a mental disorder, or due to disease located anywhere along the peripheral or central sensory pathways. Treatment is determined by the identified causative factor following extensive medical and/or psychological evaluation.

I hope this helps!
Faye, RN, MSW
 datsu - Fri May 15, 2009 1:13 am

Okay, but is there is a certain criteria of Body Image Agnosia that has to do with low self esteem or correlates with body image disorder OR Body Dysmorphic Disorder? Is Body Dysmorphic Disorder similiar to Body Image Agnosia?

-Thanks again-
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Hello datsu,

Yes, body image agnosia and Body Dysmorphic Disorder are similar. The psychological testing that I mentioned, plus a thorough interview, would determine which is the best match and thus what treatment to follow. Low self-esteem is a factor in many psychological conditions, and can be a factor in both that you mentioned.