Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Obsessive Extreme Inner Lip Biting

0218508 - Sat May 09, 2009 12:47 am

I am posing this question here because I assume I have some type of anxiety disorder.
I created a new topic because mine is extremely severe and not like any typical 'lip picking or chewing' ...

A bit of my history that is relevant, I am 22 year old female, 103 pounds, 5'4. I am strict about my eating habits. Probably borderline anorexic. I am strict about being ''perfect'' at school, plucking all body hair/ pubic hair (yes I said plucking) etc...

I don't drink/smoke. I have a University Degree. Just graduated.

My problem: For as long as I can remember - as long as I have had teeth I have gotten the severe urge / tingle in my lips, / anxiety / to bite into them. I am not talking picking or just grabbing the skin of my cheek with my teeth. I mean severely breaking the skin, taking massive chunks out of my cheeks and inner lips. It bleeds uncontrollably usually I swallow the blood and keep going until I feel ''satisfied''. Every time I do this I don't feel pain I feel relief. I have areas where I bite, upper top lips, or bottoms, or side bottoms of my lips. Not usually the cheeks. It is the equivalent of self mutilation. It causes canker sores a day or two later to form where I have bitten my lips. When I do it really badly I cannot talk properly, my lips are swollen, I cannot kiss my bf, -- I cannot even eat properly because the pain afterward is so bad. I know I am biting, I don't do it in my sleep.

I've tried mouth guards, snapping a rubber band on my wrist when I get the urge to bite, I've tried hypnosis, I've tried mouthwash, eliminating certain foods or sugar, it sometimes happens around the time I get my period. I've seen my dentist, my doctor, both are stumped and say its a mental thing. I've used numbing creams, ambesol, Kanka, all those. Nothing works. I spit out the mouth guard, I take off the rubber band, I always resort back to biting because the urge overwhelms me. I get a surge of relaxation from biting. An overwhelming sense of relief.

So what is it? Do I have OCD? How do I fix this? I have bitten it so badly its scarred and I have almost needed stitches. pls help.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu May 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Hello 0218508,

Your self-mutilating behavior and perfectionism could be a symptom of several psychological disorders, and requires interview and evaluation by a psychologist and/or psychiatrist. Self-mutilation behaviors are often related to a need to be in control, and are related to obsessive-compulsive diagnoses. If your doctors are not within the mental health arena, please seek a referral to a psychologist and/or psychiatrist, or make an appointment with a local mental health agency for evaluation and treatment. You would likely benefit from a combination of anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications. Some behavioral modification treatment may also be an option. Your description suggests tremendous inner pain, and I urge you to seek psychological treatment as soon as you can.

Good luck to you.
Faye, RN, MSW
 0218508 - Thu May 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Thank you. Up until now my family doctor has been stumped. I too, am stumped. I sometimes take Cipralex (an anti-depressant,) but I do not like the way they make me feel.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Hello again, 0218508,

I've read your reply and just wanted to add that I hope things are going well for you, and that you've engaged in successful psychiatric/psychological treatment. I continue to wish you the very best.

Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us