Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Why lower dosage of Welbutrin at first?

mkweber - Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:22 pm

My doctor has prescribed welbutrin 300mg. For the first 2 weeks I have to take 150mg. Why is this lower dosage in the begining? Am I taking a high dosage? Also if I miss any will I have to take the lower dosage again? thank you for your help
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:47 am

User avatar Hi mkweber,
The reason for starting a lower dosage at first is because one of the possible side effects of Wellbutrin in some people are seizures. The recommendation is always to start with the lower dosage first. A typical dose is 300 mg/day. The maximum recommended dose is 450mg a day. If you miss a dose DO NOT double up on the medication. Skip the missed dose and take your next dose as scheduled.
I hope this was helpful and thank you for using https://www.doctorslounge.com