Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: who to see to help me recover from an eating disorder

 dancindiva - Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 am

(sorry i have already post this, im not sure if i did or didn't)

i was dignosed with bulimia a couple moths ago. the doctor who i told refered me to an adolest clinic ( i also told the doctor who refered me that i have been sexually abused, that is why they refered me there, cause i have multipule problems). any ways they have did not except me, because the clinic closed. so we are back to point A.

I have been trying to self recover. now i havent binged or purged for 4 days. it is very hard but its going to try my best to keep it up. But i have lost weight, i don't know if i'm eating enough now. i've been eating fruits vegatable lean portien and some dairy but i cut ouy grains completly. I am still terrifed of gaining weight.
i think i need help. i've been thinking about going to my GP and opening up about this because i am scared they will not take me seriously. i think that because i am a "normal/healthy" weight acordinng to my BMI. Some times i feel likei'm not thin enough to have an eating disorder. is that wrong or me to think that? i'm also scared because my dad know abouy iy and he hasnt done to much to help mr, idk if its because he doesnt care or doesnt understand and know what to do.

I was wondering should i go to my GP or someone else? who can help me beat my eating disorder? Also, the doctor who referef me to the adolsent clinic mentioned something about checking my hear, electrolyte imbalances amd something about potassium. How do they check for this? what kind of doctor would i need to see.
I realy feel like this needs to be taken care of, exspecialy because i havent been feeling well physically, i have been very very week and tired.

thankk you in advance :)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:46 pm

User avatar Hello,
You should see a psychiatrist or therapist through mental or behavioral health. You might try calling your local health department or a hospital in your area and asking for resources. Your GP could also refer you to some kind of mental health agency as well. If you have community mental health clinics, they might be helpful. Or you could contact NAMI ( for help finding someone.

You are right that you need help to fight this and you will be most successful if you can be involved with a mental health professional. You are making great progress but you need some help for the long haul. Don't worry about not being thin enough for an eating disorder. Many overweight people suffer from bulimia - that is usually the reason they start to purge. Eating disorders come in different types so don't assume anything about the guidelines for treatment. When eating is used for psychological purposes it can be overeating, undereating, or purging, abusing laxatives or medications. It is important to work on the root cause of the problem. In your case it may be related to the abuse. At any rate, you need to get help. I hope you are able to speak to someone about this soon.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us