Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: prozac and chest pain

cleatuslives - Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 am

I just started taking prozac about 2 weeks ago. I started slowly--on 5 mg--am currently at 16 mg and will work up to 20mg in the next few days. Over the last 5 days or so I have been having chest pain. I know that it is not acid reflux because antacids don't make any difference. Taking a natural anti-inflammatory helps but not completely. I read on a few websites that this can be a side effect. Does it typically subside or should it be something that I am concerned with?
 simonne westort LPN - Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 pm

I can understand your concerns. Antidepressants are trial and error. It is not easy to find the right one. Everyones body reacts in different ways.
I recommend telling your doctor about this right away. Sometimes the side effect can be chest pain, anxiety, shortness of breath, and other cardiac symptoms. If you do experience any of these other symptoms along with the chest pain, you can have an ekg, and other cardiac tests that will show nothing. It is a reaction from your body, and if it doesn't agree with you, then it is not the right medication for you.
you may want to see if this condition subsides, and maybe it will.
Good luck to you
simonne