Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Wellbutrin and Puberty question.

Hellohihello - Tue May 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi. I was recently put on 100mg of Wellbutrin for migraines. It has helped a lot, but there is possibly one draw back . I don't get those random erections throughout the day as I used to. I can get an erection, I still get them in the morning but it seems to be quite a bit harder to get one. The not getting erections doesn't bother me, but does it have an affect on my hormones for puberty? It lowers the amount I fantasize I guess you could say and I am only fifteen years old. If not, great, this is the best medicine in the world. If so, I guess I'll talk to my parents about it and change it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:07 pm

Antidepressants such as this can affect one's libido or sexual arousal but it is not a permanent condition and it does not alter your hormones. This will not interfere with your normal development at all and it can help you a lot if it is the right treatment for your symptoms. Wellbutrin is also one that has fewer sexual side effects than many of the others so you will likely be able to use it long-term without problems.

Thank you for your question.