Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Damage to the endorphine system

srulikg - Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:32 am

I've been a few years on antipsychotics that have always brought my mood down, so I had to take Akineton (Biperiden) along with it to balace my mood.
Now I'm off pills for some months and I've noticed that when I work out I don't feel as elevated as I used to. Before the pills I always felt elevated when I worked out, but now nothing, it's like the endorphins are not getting released.
My psychiatrist never heard of something like this.
Is there some kind of treatment for this?
Are there endorphine subtitutes I can use? I heard that former drug addicts take narcotic pain killers because the drugs damaged their endorphine system.
Is it a good idea?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Hello srulikg,

I suspect you are having rebound depressive symptoms. After discontinuing medications, it can take several months for the body's neurohormones to rebuild to normal and usual endorphin response with exercise. Before trying pain medications, which could develop its own set of problems, it may be a good idea to try a short time of medication such as Elavil to address both the possible depression, while elevating one's mood. It would be best for you to discuss this response with your psychiatrist, since his opinion is the one that matters most in your treatment.

Good luck to you. I hope this helps.