Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: same person but different personality

 kazza26 - Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 pm

ok i am probley a complete hypocondriac and if you don't want to answer this then thats fine as il just find out some other way but id appreciate it if you did thanks
this has been happening for the last few years but ive never bothered mentioning it as it didnt seem that bad to me and doesnt seem that bad even now
i do not suffer from multiple personality disorder,i don't have other parts of me called tom dick and harry
however sometimes every so often i am the same person but different personality,this only happens for a few mins then i switch back
heres an excample
a few days back i was walking home,{now i am one these people that care about everything and feel guilty if i even so much squash a spider}when suddenly i just changed i was still me but i had a different personality i was nasty uncaring i even had a memory of a conversation with my gran,i had robbed her and she was asking me why and i didnt care,even inside of me i just didnt care about anyone almost if i was void of emotions,it only lasted a few mins then i was back to my normal self,it seemed so real i had to question whether or not i had robbed my gran,this is something id never do.
its only happens now and again
i mean with MPD the host generally isnt aware of other personalitys but i was aware
like i said i am probley being a hyprocondriac
 Debra Van Ness RN - Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 am

I can give some guesses. i wonder if some of the symptoms of the personality changes has to do with your history of childhood sexual abuse. Sometimes people do develop multiple personalities which were created from trauma of abuse. Ok, not sure you have MPD. As you said, you know when this happens and you do not take on another name or anything. It is just a guess.
Truly though you might want to see a psychiatrist if you can. I am not insinuating that you are crazy. I am just saying that this needs to be explored.
It sounds as if you have much anger during those times of personality change. You say you don't care about anything during those episodes. But some deep seeded anger sounds like it is definately present.
Best wishes and I hope you find the answer for sure.
Debra Van Ness RN
 kazza26 - Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:41 pm

maybe but i was sexually abused when i was 11 or 12 .most people i know with mpd were abused at lot younger age.he didnt abuse me under 11 but i think he planned it.i mean from when he meet me aged 6 he totally obsessed with me,he didnt do anything sexually under 11 but i can remember being 7 and i was having a bath,he walked in ( no lock on the door) and he pushed me under the water then walked out,wonder if he was checkin me out lol.,i sometimes wonder if the other personality i had was the one i should of had.i don't know.its not as if it happens all the time,once in a blue moon lol.thanks for answering my question
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Hello, kazza26,

I apologize for the late addition, but I just found your post and wanted to respond. The extreme dissociative disorder that is commonly known as "multiple personality disorder" is actually very rare. What you describe really may be associated with the abuse or threatened abuse in childhood. Others have experienced what you describe, and seeing a therapist can be very helpful. The goal would be to sort out your feelings about those past experiences and help you learn different ways of coping. I don't think you are being a hypochondriac at all. Please talk with your doctor about it, and seriously consider seeing a therapist. Public mental health agencies can provide both services by a therapist and by a psychiatrist if that is indicated; their charges are generally based on the person's ability to pay.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us