Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Chest pressure after taking respidol

gdoty2002 - Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:23 pm

I started getting panic attacks about 2 months ago. I was prescribed resperidol 1.5 mg which was 1 and 1/2 pills a day. After two weeks she told me to double it to three. Well I thought she meant three pills so I was taking six mg double what I was supposed to. Into the second week I started to have chest pressure and breathing problems. After she found out I took more then I should have she took me off of it immediately. I wasn't weened off of it. My chest was bothering me so bad I went to the emergency room. They did blood tests and an EKG and everything was ok. He thought it was just muscle pain. It has been a week since I went to the er and my chest is still sore and I have to take deep breaths if I exert myself. I don't know if this is something to worry about or if it could be from panic but it is constant. I am taking Xanax for the anxiety when I need it I can't even work. I am going to a pyschologist on Mon. Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:20 am

User avatar Hi gdoty2002,
One of the listed side effects of Risperdal is a fast heart beat or palpitations. This of course in turn can cause a feeling of chest discomfort and shortness of breath. Aside from the medication, the history of panic attacks alone may also cause these symptoms. I am glad to hear that your visit to the emergency room identified no abnormalities. I also hope your visit to the Psychologist is very helpful. Best wishes!