Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Returning to Zoloft

m919 - Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:01 am

Hi. I am a 33 year old female and have been successfully taking zoloft for 4 years for Anxiety and Panic attacks. Over the summer I began tapering down & I was only taking the medication every few days. 5 weeks ago I experienced a panic attack and my anxiety seems to have come back full force. I have been taking my 100 mg dosage every day for the past 4 weeks and have now increased it to 150 for a week and a half. I am concerned because I am still not feeling better and my anxiety seems almost worse. Will the zoloft work for me again and I just need to give it more time at the increased dosage? I am so upset and not sure what to do. I just want to feel like myself again!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:39 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would give the higher dosage a little more time. In most people, going back to the treatment that worked before is very effective but sometimes a person may get kind of a resistance and needs a change to a different medication. It's a trial and error thing but it takes great patience because these meds take a while to work. If after a couple more weeks you still don't feel right, discuss it with your doctor.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us