Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: weaning off symbyax 6mg/25mg capsules

TruckerP9 - Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:33 pm

My wife has been taking symbyax 6mg/25mg capsules ( 1 per day ) for 6 to 8 weeks. She says that she felt better before she started taking this medicine. She is also taking klonopin 0.5mg ( 2 per day at 12 hour intervals ). She would like to wean off the symbyax. How should she wean off this safely, or is that even necessary?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Hello, TruckerP9,

First let me apologize that this response is so tardy. Since your concerns are fairly common, I'll go ahead and respond anyway, in case anyone else is reading this, as well. It often takes longer than 6 to 8 weeks for a medication to establish appropriate blood levels, although the average time is usually given as 6 to 8 weeks. A medication such as Symbax (a combination anti-depressant) should be decreased gradually, and is most safely done under the supervision of a doctor. Sometimes such medication has initial side effects that disappear with time. The Klonopin would address issues of anxiety and some mood stabilization, but would not directly address depressive symptoms. Whenever a person is not happy with the way the medication regimen is affecting them, it is perfectly acceptable as well as advisable for them to see their physician and discuss their concerns in depth. I hope this is helpful to you, and others.

Good luck to you.