Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Random spikes of extreme anger and sadness, PMDD?

 dejagwentendu - Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:06 pm

I am a 19 year old female...and have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for about 3 1/2 years. Every 2 weeks to a month we have really horrible fights that reconstruct my entire thought process and makes me enraged to the point of whaling/crying for hours or all day long... (since I know that it will only make it worse, I make sure I freak out by myself) Its over the most ridiculous things ... like last night we went to the gym together and he was being very distant and then when we left he just got out of my car without giving me a kiss. And I flipped out! I know in my head its wrong so I try not to express it to him or else I will be very mean to him and it does nott need to be that serious. Another example is one time, I was in the car with this guy driving, and I asked him to stop at a store, and he Jokingly at the top of his lungs screams NO YOU F******* CXNT and I know he was joking but inside I couldnt help myself I got so angry that I started to cry and freak out, I couldnt talk, and my boyfriend says "Theres no reason for you to be upset right now" and that made it worse.

When everything is fine I am definitely not as needy or moody and I don't entirely care what anyone does. It only happens sometimes, and Im afraid that my boyfriend cant handle it any longer. Is this PMDD?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Hello dejagwentendu,

The randomness of your symptoms tends not to support PMDD. My usual recommendation is that you keep a detailed log or journal, in which you detail each outburst - where, when, with whom, in response to what. Look for patterns in your behavior, were you premenstrual or menstruating, and how it felt to go off at someone with such drama - did it feel good, powerful or scary? Take your journal to a psychologist or psychiatrist for evaluation. There are likely some behavioral treatments that would help you with your impaired coping style, as well as a possible medication regimen. Recognize that you are responsible for your actions and reactions, and take steps to help you cope more effectively (as described above).

Good luck to you.
 sprinkle - Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:51 am

my mum sister nad boyfriend keep telling me i need to see a doctor and that i have mood swings extreme to the other. i don't feel that this is true however i have been a bit upset lately as my mum has stopped talking to me as she feels my apparent mood swings are un barelable. please help do i go to the doctor if so what do i say
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Hello, sprinkle,

I'm sorry to hear about your continuing difficulties. It would be helpful to you if you would see a doctor, and perhaps a therapist, as well. You have done a good job of writing down your concerns to us, so just say the same things to your doctor and/or therapist. As I suggested before, keep a record of your symptoms can be helpful to you and to your treatment providers. Keep the record daily, and write down what the symptom is (yelling, crying, etc.), when it started, what was happening when it started, how long it lasted, what made it better or worse, and any other data that you feel is important. Take your record with you to all appointments. It can help you track your recovery, and it can help your treatment providers track any diagnostic patterns. If you feel uncomfortable saying all that you have written, then by all means write it down and ask your doctor to read it. That will get the conversation going, and you will see that it's okay to talk about it with him or her, and that you will not be judged. I really do hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us