Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Effexor and Cannabis?

Wastrel - Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:41 pm

Does smoking up interfere at all with Effexor XR?

My doctor's had me on effexor since september of last year, and I've been a big pot smoker since before then, but my doc's really concerned that weed might be interfering with the effexor ... I personally don't think so, since I quit weed for december and didn't notice any change whatsoever in my mood.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:17 am

User avatar Hi Wastrel,
Effexor is an antidepressant and cannabis is a central nervous system depressant. So generally speaking, one would likely counteract the effects of the other.
 Wastrel - Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:00 pm

Thanks, but what does that mean for me? How will this affect my mood?

And to what extent do they cancel each other out? Which substance is more potent?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:15 am

User avatar Hi Wastrel,
It would be impossible for me to give any sort of percentage of how much one would cancel out or effect the other since everyone metabolizes drugs etc. at a little different rate. However, since your doctor has expressed concern over this, you should be concerned as well. He/she is in a much better position to judge the effects than I. As for potency, if the drugs affected the system in the same way one could say this or that one is "more potent". The effects are opposite of each other. My apologies for not being more helpful.