Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Psychogenic polydipsia

bettelou - Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:24 pm

I am so mad. I just came back from my family doctor and he maintains that I can' tfeel my feet because I am anxious and have been continuously hyperventilating for 6 weeks. I just can't bring myself to accept that. I have hyperventilated before during panic attacks and know what it feels like. I do not feel like that now. In addition, he believes that the excessive water drinking which nearly killed me last week is due to "psychogenic polydipsia". In other words, he thinks I have excessive thirst due to a psychiatric disorder. He is limiting me to one quart of total fluids a day. Am I really that mentally ill? Just because I have suffered from schizophrenia in the past, does that mean that everything that is physically wrong with me is in my mind? I tried to call my psychiatrist to check this out with her, and she is on vacation. I don't know what to do. I came home so angry. I rebelliously drank a 20 oz. tumbler of water. If I'm going to die, I don't want to die thirsty. Maybe I should just stop the Seroquel and go back to the state hospital where everybody IS crazy. I am so tired and depressed and angry trying to be taken seriously and be accepted in this society. If I weren't responsible for taking care of my elderly mother, I would probably do something desperate right now. But she needs me, so I will try to hang in. Bette
 Kathy C, RN - Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:08 pm

Hi Bettelou, I know how some people look upon mental illness and I am sorry you have had that experience in the past. I am assuming your physician did tests to rule out physical causes? Perhaps you could get a second opinion to set your mind at ease. Also follow up with your phychiatrists when they return.
Let me know how you do.
Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us