Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Crippled cognitive abilities after xanax use

Random_254 - Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:40 am

I messed up my sleeping pattern to the point where i would wake up at 7 Pm.

One day i woke up at 7:30 Pm and decided to use xanax to "fix" my sleeping schedule, i took 2 mg, at midnight i went to sleep, i woke up at 8 am.

5 days have passed since then, i fixed my sleeping problem, but i can't think,not like i used to, i feel that my cognitive abilities have decreased significantly.
I took xanax in the past,but when i took it that night i had no tolerance, since the last time i took xanax was about 1.5 weeks before that night.

My question:could my decrease in intellect be permanent? I used to speak in an articulate manner, now i find it very hard to do in "real time" as in when speaking to people. Could this be permanent ?
I also cannot sleep more then 6-7 hours a per night,no matter how tired i am.
Before, when i was tired i slept 10+ hours.
Thank you in advance.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Hello, Random_254,

Generally, the symptoms you describe would not be permanent. You did not mention what your Xanax is prescribed for; I encourage you to discuss with your physician the problems you've had with sleep and the subsequent symptoms you've had. A reduced dosage may be indicated. Since you were having a disrupted sleep pattern before you re-established a better pattern, the fatigue could be cumulative, so that it would take a few days for you to again feel your usual level of alertness. I always urge people to maintain a record of their symptoms - when they occur, the severity, and what you were doing before and/or during their occurrence. The record will help your doctor quickly see if there is a specific pattern or issue that needs to be addressed. If your symptoms have not resolved and you haven't already seen your doctor to begin evaluating your situation, I urge you to do so now.

Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us