Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: im 14, depressed, and confused

 sad_girl - Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:50 am

hi, im only 14, and ive been depressed before, my parents got divorced and then i changed. ive never been the same ever since. I used to be fun and energetic, but now i just like to be alone, and i don't have a lot of energy. I've also have been having a hard time falling asleep, it takes hours, and i toss and turn. but anytime i have to go see a doctor or shrink, they all tell me the same thing. And is it normal to feel even more sad after appointments? thanks.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:04 pm

Hello, sad_girl,

How difficult for you! You did not mention what it is the doctor or shrink has told you, but I'll do my best to respond to your question. You are at a very vulnerable developmental stage in your life; the teen years are not easy years when life is perfect. When there are problems, then issues become understandably magnified and seem overwhelming. I'm encouraged that you do see the doctor or shrink. It's normal to have episodes of feeling down, or being unable to sleep, or to have a short period of feeling less energy. However, when those symptoms are the usual, it isn't normal. They indicate depression, and that some treatment would be beneficial. I think it's reasonable to feel even more sad after appointments if you are frustrated and do not feel you have been heard or helped. Please talk to your parents about this, or to one of your parents if both are not in the picture following the divorce. Ask them to help you advocate for yourself with your doctor or shrink. Please start a record right now of your symptoms, including your mood, your sleep pattern, any anxiety, your level of activity and your appetite. Maintain the record at least daily, and take it with you to each appointment. It's okay for you to tell your doctor or shrink that you do not feel that the treatment is helping. Often the local public mental health agencies have therapists who specialize in working with children and adolescents; ask your doctor or shrink to refer you.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us