Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Do I have a sleep disorder?

hlb - Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Hello, I have many problems associated with sleep, I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I need medical help. First off, I am always tired no matter how much I sleep. I can sleep 5, 8, 12 hours and still feel tired during the day. I have a little bit of trouble falling asleep, I have to wait until I'm exhausted until I can fall asleep after about a half hour. My biggest problem is my dreams. I have excessive dreaming, I dream every night and dream through the whole night. I never have pleasant dreams, they are always frightening or unsettling. They are also vivid, and I can always recall them after I've woken up. I've tried to get rid of these, by having a normal sleep pattern, reading something pleasant before i go to sleep, not having late night snacks, but nothing works. I wonder if I might have sleep apnea, I used to when i was younger, but I'm not sure if I still have it. Some things that go on with me are: I wake up with a very dry mouth, I have a sore throat a lot, I snore and mumble in my sleep, my nose is completely stuffed when I wake up and I can't even breathe out of it, I move a lot when I sleep, my legs have a crawling sensation sometimes when I try to sleep. I would really appreciate some help on this so I can get a good night's sleep again. Thanks, hlb.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Hello, hlb,

Your description of your sleep difficulties does indicate that you need a medical evaluation, including a sleep study. The sleep study would document any apnea, wakefulness, duration of REM sleep, and restless leg syndrome. What you are experiencing is not a normal situation, and is treatable. The degree of severity of the sleep study findings would determine if you needed CPAP as well as medication. I urge you to see your doctor and discuss your situation thoroughly, and request a sleep study.

I hope this is helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us