Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: personality changes?

tonytriker - Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:56 am

i need to know what type of disorder i have. I change my personality to get what i want or to fit in. I get jobs this way. Woman this way and free things this way. I can read people and change to make them like or evern love me. it sounds great but it is not. it has got stronger as i got older and now im alone with no one who I really like. I need to know what i may have. I feel no remose to anyone. I feel i have no feelings. However I have never got in to fights i have always talked my way out off trouble and even had them shake my hand. This also includes the Law. I have a high sex drive. i don't do violance but i know if i am in a situration where i could get seriously hurt i would not think twice about taking them out.

any ideas of what i may have so i can see some one.

Thanks
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Hello, tonytriker,

First, I want you to know that you have a major advantage in dealing with whatever your disorder turns out to be, and that is that you have insight into your difficulties and recognize what you are doing. That is a very, very major factor in your favor, and for the likelihood of a successful treatment outcome.

Your description suggests that you may have a type of personality disorder, but it would require much further evaluation before that actually be determined. People can fall into maladaptive behaviors such as you describe without having a major disorder, or it can mean that there are features of a personality disorder. It depends on the consistency and severity of the symptoms.

You can request a referral from your doctor to a psychologist for a thorough evalutaion of your symptoms, or you can get services through a local public mental health agency. Discuss psychological testing with your assigned therapist. I commend you for your willingness to seek appropriate treatment.

Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us