Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Does Lamictal XR work the same for bipolar as Lamictal?

wil2166760 - Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:40 am

I used to be on Lamictal 200mg (take one by mouth in
the morning) for my bipolar. However later in the day
like late aftenoon especially during the evening i
would get bipolar symptoms again. My doctor switched
me to Lamictal XR. Does the XR work for bipolar or
just seizures? And if so will it help me be more
stable in the evenings?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Hello, wil2166760,

The simple answer is yes, it should help extend the medication effects so that you don't get symptoms later in the day. It may take a little while for the medication to be most effective, however. It would be helpful to you and to your doctor if you would begin a log and maintain it consistently. Record your symptoms, when they occur, what you are doing when they occur, and how long they last. This will help your doctor evaluate both the most appropriate medications and the best time for you to take them. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you!