Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Psychedelic Mushrooms

 Hatibovic - Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:44 am

I have been experimenting with them and i have never seen a signiffigant change in myself PHYSICALLY, oh that raises another question. Is it possible to "overdose" on the active ingredient in Psychedelic Mushrooms? I have not heard of or read up on any related deaths, or that they can be really harmful to you. The only "overdose" in this that i could think of is eating too much of them and vomiting, or having a "bad Trip" which i fell is impossible to get because it has never happened to me.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Hello, Hatibovic,

The active ingredient in mushrooms is psilocybin, which is very similar to LSD. Bad "trips" do occur, and are generally dependent on the person's mood and environment. They're described as being like your worst nightmare, except that you can't wake up as from a nightmare - you have to experience the bad trip in its entirety, for as long as it happens to last. Fatalities are generally related to allergies or accidental ingestion of poisonous varieties, which requires immediate medical attention. Moldy mushrooms can make a person extremely ill, due to the molds and bacteria that can be contained on them. The usual side effects of the non-toxic psychedelic mushrooms are generally stomach problems, like cramping, nausea and vomiting, and diarrhea. Flashbacks are not uncommon. It sounds like you've been lucky so far in avoiding harmful side effects, but it seems a bit like playing "russian roulette". The mushrooms are not known to be addictive, but the person can become dependent on the experience when it's a good one. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us