Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: pain all the time

 selgea - Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Ok bear with me a moment, Im miserable. I used to be in PM but then I moved to wisconsin recently, and my doctr here doesnt think I need PM. He lowered my dosage which I understand, but now Im miserable. I called his office nd they say theres nothing they can do. I have had a bone infection in my rt. knee and just a year ago they took out a hernia mesh that ended up being infected. Without going into to too much detail, I am starting to wonder if its worth it anymore. I cant do anything with my kids really and I tend to think they woul be better off without me. I cant just keep being in pain ALL the time. I asked my doc to help me get back to a normal life and with the lower dosage Im miserable.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello selgea,

If you are having thoughts of self harm, contact the local crisis line or mental health clinic immediately. If you are thinking of acting on such thoughts, go immediately to the emergency room.

Chronic pain is a difficult issue to manage, and often requires a Pain Management specialist to address it. Is your current doctor a Pain Management specialist? If there are no PM specialists in your area, a neurologist may be able to help you. Have you had your previous records transferred to your new doctor? If not, it would be good to do so. If you have had your records transferred and your doctor is not comfortable maintaining your medication at its previous level, it would be reasonable to get a second opinion.
You might also benefit from cognitive-behavioral therapy, which could help you learn relaxation and coping styles to help relieve your anxiety about your level of pain. The Mayo Clinic recommends keeping a diary of your symptoms, including when they happen, severity on a scale of 1 to 10 (1= mildest, 10= most severe), duration, medications taken, and what helped or made it worse. It helps both you and your doctor track what is happening to you.

I don't know the ages of your children, but I know of no instance in which a child would prefer to be without a parent, regardless of how active or impaired the parent might be. While your distress may tempt you to give in to your anger at your current treatment and your chronic pain, the reality is that your children would want you there, even if you can't be as active as you'd like to be with them. Again, if you have any thoughts of self-harm or acting on those thoughts, get help immediately.

Having to manage such a difficult situation when one feels least able to do so may seem insurmountable, but taking it one step at a time will help you find the help you need.

Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us