Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I don't know what's going on with my mind

 Epi_1990 - Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts so forgive me if i sound vague or confusing.

recently i've been feeling very mixed and erratic thoughts.

sometimes it feels like i'm dreaming, like nothing exists or nothing is real, things happen and then a moment later i am questioning it actually happening.

then other times things feel very real, even when they arent, i think things are happening that aren't but i am reacting like they are, even having panic attacks.

even other times my mind feels like flicking channels on the TV, creative ideas flood in my head, there are so many i cant even focus on one of them and anything inspiring can trigger this (since i am an artist this should be a blessing but the thoughts are so chaotic i cant focus to work on an idea)

lastly there are times when i am ecstatic, hyper, i talk in random patterns, laugh at random things. these bouts are very short but intense when they happen

Physically i feel weak all the time, i almost always have headaches, i have disrupted sleep patterns, i fluctuate from having no appetite to wanting to eat everything (with no middle ground), and i shake and tremble.

any advice would be helpful, i just need to know what's happening in my mind, thank you in advanced for your time
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Hello Epi_1990,

I'm sorry to hear of your distress. What you describe is a serious situation, and you need to see a psychologist or psychiatrist right away. Your symptoms indicate a high level of stress at the very least, and suggest the onset of psychosis or a significant mental problem. If 1990 is your birth year, you would be at the usual age of onset of conditions such as schizophrenia, though it can happen at any age. It's important that you receive psychiatric evaluation as soon as possible. There are medications that can help you stabilize your thoughts and think more clearly. If you are unable to decide who to call, or cannot find resources in your area, please see your doctor on an urgent basis. He or she can help you find assistance.

I wish you the best of luck. Please let me know if I can help further.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us