Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Changing Tranxene Dosage

tbl - Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:27 pm

I have been regularly take 15mg of Tranxene twice a day for a month and a half for uncontrolled panic attacks. I feel like the 15 mg of the Tranxene I take in the evening is making me too much of a zombie. Can I take 7.5 mg at night without withdrawal symptoms?
I have been on Tranxene since 2001 on a "as needed basis"...but, about a year ago alot of changes in my life happened and was spinning uncontrollably. The doctors had me on 3 different medicines per day which now I do not take anymore but, he has me on the Tranxene twice a day.
I just do not feel like I need the 30mg per day dosage.

Thank you
tbl
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi tbl,

The usual prescription for Tranxene is from 15 - 60mg per day, in divided doses of twice to four times daily. It has a long half-life (the time it usually takess for about half of the medication to clear from your system) of 20 to 179 hours, which makes it a long-acting drug. Dependence in the form of increased tolerance for the drug can develop, especially at higher doses, though it generally develops more slowly with Tranxene than with other benzodiazepines. Decreasing the dosage by one quarter generally would have little effect since you are on a low dose. Abrupt total withdrawal from the medication at low doses can cause significant problems, including depression nervousness, rebound insomnia, irritability, sweating, and diarrhea. Abrupt withdrawal from high doses can cause anxiety, apprehension, tremors, insomnia, nausea and vomiting, confusion, toxic psychosis and seizures. Gradual reduction for total withdrawal is recommended.

Even though decreasing the dosage is not likely to have an adverse effect, it's important that you let your physician know of your plan before proceeding.

Good luck to you!