Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Mental disorder or deficitary education

marianos - Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 pm

I would like to know if a person could have some mental disorder or it's just the education he received.
Behavior peculiarities are:

-Deficiency in adapting in social situations
-Creation of facts and fictional characters that he presents in great detail as real
-Speaks loudly and pressed
-Hyperactivity (energy surplus)
-Exaggerated curiosity
-Lack of empathy (inability to empathize with real people or characters in books or movies)
-Mild kleptomania
-Remembers in detail unimportant facts
-Self-sufficiency, megalomania
-Sometimes shows aggression and excessive nervousness over the situation / person that caused it
-Excessive time-planning
-Creation of various repetitive rituals
-Lack of diplomacy, says everything that comes in his mind
-Low-patience at work, queues, sessions, meetings and exaggerated for its rituals and passions
-Has an obsession for a female personality and projects it over other women.

I mention that he is between 25 and 30 years old and over time had good results at school.

I am waiting for your informed opinions,
Thanks.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:10 am

Hi marianos,

You have posed a very interesting question. While a diagnosis of any psychological disorder cannot be made without a detailed psychological interview, we can look at the symptoms in theory. It does not seem likely that the behaviors would be due to education, although education and family structure can certainly have a strong influence.

What you describe includes a certain social immaturity, as well as a disregard for other people. Pressured speech, rituals, time-planning, impatience, emphasis on irrelevant details, nervousness and creating characters that he presents as real suggests compulsive thoughts and obsessive behaviors. The hyperactivity can be an expression of stress and compulsive thought. He is obviously adequately functional, since he is able to succeed at school and employment. Overall, what you have described suggests a personality disorder with an associated anxiety condition.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck!