Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: panic attacks

 abigail12883 - Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 pm

hi, my name is abby, im 13 and i have been having constant panic attacks, and have had some trouble breathing, and ive been passing out. i havent old my family, and im not quite sure to do. please help.

abigail smith
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:16 am

Hi abigail12883,

A panic attack has many symptoms, like a pounding heart, sweating, trembling, feeling like you're smothering, a choking sensation, chest pain or pressure, nausea, dizziness, feelings of unreality, fear of losing control or going crazy, fear of dying, tingling sensations in arms and legs, and chills or hot flashes. Panic attacks can be unexpected, or they can be in response to a specific type of situation (for example, seeing a snake, speaking in public, or parental arguments). Although the panic attack itself has many possible symptoms, the panic attack IS a symptom. Panic attacks are one of the symptoms of many different types of anxiety disorders, from agoraphobia and panic disorder to a specific one of the anxiety diagnoses or obsessive-compulsive disorder. Post-traumatic stress disorder also has panic attacks as a symptom. A panic attack that results in the person passing out is serious, and should not be ignored. It is beyond the point of relaxation exercises as the sole treatment. It is a real symptom, and should be respected as such. Because of your age, you will have to involve your parents so that you can receive medical help to overcome the condition that is contributing to the panic attacks, whatever that condition might be. It would be a good idea to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, as they are experts in dealing with such disorders. Please feel free to use this information in any way needed to help you tell your parents about this situation.

Good luck to you, Abigail. Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us