Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Is it safe to take Lexapro and a beta-blocker?

rocco1005 - Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 am

Currently i am on 10mg Lexapro and i need to start taking a beta-blocker but lexapro inhibits an enzyme called CYP2D6 in the liver which metabolizes certain things, thus causing certain medicines to build up in the system since it cant metabolize it good. Is this true? Is this only with certain beta blockers and antidepressants? I don't want any kind of interaction with these. I mean there has to be millions of people on lexapro and a beta blocker right?

I know lexapro inhibits this enzyme in the liver because it does that with caffeine too and whenever i drink coffee i feel like crap and my nerves go crazy.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi -

Some SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) antidepressants do inhibit CYP2D6. Lexapro has only a weak effect on the enzyme, if any. In vitro studies did not find that Lexapro had an inhibitory effect on CYP2D6. Inhibiting the enzyme could cause some "build up" of medication due to slowed metabolic effect, but this does not appear to be a major consideration. There is no contraindication for prescribing Lexapro with beta-blockers. However, both medications may slow the heart rate, so that aspect is likely monitored by your physician.

Good luck to you.