Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Why has my friend's behaviour changed so dramatically?

leafy1 - Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:44 am

I have a 23 year old female friend, and literally overnight she started acting really energetic and hyperactive, and I mean to the point of being extreme. And she suddenly "seems" really happy as well, although nothing has happened to make her happy, in fact she is going through a lot at the moment. Previously, she was what society would deem as "normal", mood and energy wise. I know for a fact that it is definitely not drugs, so what else could it be? Could it be a coping mechanism??
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi -

What your friend is experiencing could be a coping mechanism, or it could be a reaction to a stressor in her life, or it could be a developing Bipolar Disorder with a manic phase presenting first. If it persists, encourage her to see her doctor for evaluation of her symptoms and a possible referral for psychological evaluation. Have you and she talked about it at all? If not, that would be a good place to start: tell her what you have noticed, express your concern, and offer to be as supportive as you can. She's fortunate to have a friend who cares about her welfare.

I hope this is helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us