Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: is being over possessive related to psychotic behaviour

 hirasohrab - Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:33 am

Hello my husband lost his father when he was 20 later his mother married another person but she lived with her kids ie my husband in a separate home my husband was ditched by his girlfriend before he married me now he is over possessive about me he wants me to keep him updated of my activities every single moment when he is away and doesnt want me to socialise too much with people as he cant share me with anyone is that psychotic??he says he loves me too much thats y he wants to b kept updated and wants me to be with him all time n socialise less
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:28 am

Hi -

Psychotic behavior is basically being out of touch with reality. With that in mind, your husband's concerns do not appear to be psychosis, but they do suggest some insecurity about your relationship, a need to control in order to feel safe in the relationship, or overly anxious about the relationship, among some other possibilities. His family history may be a primary contributor. It's really not possible for us to determine the factors that are causing his issues, since we aren't able to see him or evaluate him. The suggestions above are only possibilities.

In any relationship, when there are difficulties, both parties are affected and can benefit from help to identify the problem and find ways to resolve the problem. Your doctor may be able to help you, or refer you to a therapist or marriage counselor. If your husband is not currently willing to participate, it would still benefit you to go alone. It's very important for you and your husband to be able to talk about your relationship and how these pressures affect both of you, and it can be reassuring to both of you.

I wish you the very best of luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us