Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Depression in young - mood swings

 greathead - Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:47 am

I have been depressed before I am only 24. I have harmed my self with a knife and have overdosed on pain killers. I have tried therapy but it doesn't seem to help. I have been on antidepressants as well they worked for a while but then they didn't really do any thing I was on them for 3 years. (cipramil 20 mg). now one min I am happy the next I am crying my eyes out. I am in a relationship and i think my partner is getting a bit stressed by my mood swings can anyone suggest any thing?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:56 pm

User avatar Sometimes there can be a need for an adjustment or change in meds after a very long time on the same one.

If you are having frequent mood swings, you may not have just depression; there are other types of depression. See a psychiatrist for an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us