Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Mental abuse

beaty1502 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:54 am

How do you know if you have been emotionally abused and how can you overcome it? I feel that I have been emotionally abused by my father. I am 27 years old and only now am I realizing that our relationship is very unhealthy. My dad has a very controlling nature and is an alcoholic. If i do anything he doesn't approve of he shuts me out and doesn't talk to me. We have went years without talking. The sad thing is he will not tell me what I have done wrong or why he is upset. This has given me a complex about myself. For 27 years I have tip toed around my dad afraid I might do something that he might disapprove of. This is very devastating to me because I always idolized my dad like most girls do but this has effected me emotionally, socially, seriously damaged my self esteem. Should I see a counselor?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:43 am

User avatar Hi beaty1502,
Alcoholism in itself makes for unhealthy relationships. It alters peoples behavior to say the least. I would not assume that you have done anything wrong and would attribute his attitude to the above mentioned (his problem) not yours. I would suggest you seek counseling.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us