Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Sleeping alot - constant fatigue

kwklshaw - Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:36 pm

I have tried to explain to my doctor that "something" is wrong. But they always say to eat right, exercise and you'll feel better. I have been exersicing EVERYDAY religiously for the last 6 months. I started at 155lbs with a goal to lose weight and eat right. I have been doing this and now weigh 170lbs and am so tired that I drag myself everynight to get my 30-1hour in. I feel AWFUL. I went to the doctor because of the weight gain and she said because I quit smoking that that sometimes causes weight gain. And that weight loss was an up and down thing. I swear I am doing all I can and nothing is working. I have made myself stick to exercising and eatting right in the hopes that it will eventually work but I am still not seeing any improvements. I am always so sleepy. I can sleep from 6pm and not get up until 6am the next day, and still feel so tired that I am ready for bed 2 hours after I have gotten up. They ran a thyroid test and I assume it came back neg because my doctor never called me back. I have a 5yr old and a 2 yr old and can not keep up with them anylonger. I am so tired and want mylife back, but no one seems to be able to help me.

Can anyone help me?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:22 pm

User avatar kwklshaw,
You sound too troubled for a girl thats 27! Sleeping alot and the complaint of fatigue all the time is not normal. There could be many things to cause these rather vague symptoms, and I am sure that your doctors have already exhausted all the possibilities even if in their mind. I would like to say that you may benefit from psychiatric consultation. Depression is now defined as a chemical imbalance between a set of chemicals in the brain. Some forms of depression are not caused by a depressing event in your life. These forms of depression arise all by themselves in previously normal people. Even the weight gain could be a manifestation of depression.

If the cause is a disease of the body rather than the mind then a psychiatrist will also help rule that out because your symptoms fall in his domain and he, in contrast to your other doctors will take your complaint seriously.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us