Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Sleeping alot - constant fatigue

kwklshaw - Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:36 pm

I have tried to explain to my doctor that "something" is wrong. But they always say to eat right, exercise and you'll feel better. I have been exersicing EVERYDAY religiously for the last 6 months. I started at 155lbs with a goal to lose weight and eat right. I have been doing this and now weigh 170lbs and am so tired that I drag myself everynight to get my 30-1hour in. I feel AWFUL. I went to the doctor because of the weight gain and she said because I quit smoking that that sometimes causes weight gain. And that weight loss was an up and down thing. I swear I am doing all I can and nothing is working. I have made myself stick to exercising and eatting right in the hopes that it will eventually work but I am still not seeing any improvements. I am always so sleepy. I can sleep from 6pm and not get up until 6am the next day, and still feel so tired that I am ready for bed 2 hours after I have gotten up. They ran a thyroid test and I assume it came back neg because my doctor never called me back. I have a 5yr old and a 2 yr old and can not keep up with them anylonger. I am so tired and want mylife back, but no one seems to be able to help me.

Can anyone help me?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:22 pm

User avatar kwklshaw,
You sound too troubled for a girl thats 27! Sleeping alot and the complaint of fatigue all the time is not normal. There could be many things to cause these rather vague symptoms, and I am sure that your doctors have already exhausted all the possibilities even if in their mind. I would like to say that you may benefit from psychiatric consultation. Depression is now defined as a chemical imbalance between a set of chemicals in the brain. Some forms of depression are not caused by a depressing event in your life. These forms of depression arise all by themselves in previously normal people. Even the weight gain could be a manifestation of depression.

If the cause is a disease of the body rather than the mind then a psychiatrist will also help rule that out because your symptoms fall in his domain and he, in contrast to your other doctors will take your complaint seriously.