Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: how do i get help

julia - Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:15 am

To Whom it May Concern,
Thank you for your time I will try to be as brief as possible.
My question centers around how does one ask a doctor for help? How do you go to a doctor and tell them you have anxiety; will they believe you? I cannot afford to go to a psychiatrist.
I was sexually abused as a child for over 5 years and also lost both parents at an early age. On the outside I look like the girl next door, but on the inside I am a nervous wreck constantly. I smoke large amounts of pot to mask my anxiety, but as I get a little older the weed seems to make me more nervous. I am only 28 and sometimes it feels like I'm having a heart attack; I can feel my heart surging.
I am nervous to go to a doctor, because I do not know what to say or how to go about getting help. Could someone please help?
 JBrown - Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:19 am

um......Tricky all i can really suggest is to bear it and go and see a doctor. Very very sorry i couldn't help you more. If you want to chat further you can msn or icq me.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us