Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: how do i get help

 julia - Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:15 am

To Whom it May Concern,
Thank you for your time I will try to be as brief as possible.
My question centers around how does one ask a doctor for help? How do you go to a doctor and tell them you have anxiety; will they believe you? I cannot afford to go to a psychiatrist.
I was sexually abused as a child for over 5 years and also lost both parents at an early age. On the outside I look like the girl next door, but on the inside I am a nervous wreck constantly. I smoke large amounts of pot to mask my anxiety, but as I get a little older the weed seems to make me more nervous. I am only 28 and sometimes it feels like I'm having a heart attack; I can feel my heart surging.
I am nervous to go to a doctor, because I do not know what to say or how to go about getting help. Could someone please help?
 JBrown - Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:19 am

um......Tricky all i can really suggest is to bear it and go and see a doctor. Very very sorry i couldn't help you more. If you want to chat further you can msn or icq me.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us