Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Am I cured from depression?

amicyco2 - Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:07 am

I had been diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder, severe depression with psychotic episodes since 1997. I have been hospitalized many times over the years and am supposed to take several medications daily (ie. celexa, topomax, abilify, wellbrutrin and visteril). For the past 3 months I haven't taken any meds and am feeling ok without any hallucinations or hearing voices as in the past. My depression has lessened, but I still feel the need to cut myself occasionally if I'm under alot of stress or feel out of control. I quit going to my therapist since I felt she wasn't helping much and am now wondering if I'm cured or only just kidding myself. I hate taking all those pills everyday and my stomach feels better since I stopped. The psychiatrist claims that I'd never be able to live normally without medication, but I feel fine right now so I don't know who to believe or what to do. I don't want to endanger anybody or myself, but I would like to go on with my life without the use of daily drugs.

Thank you
Lin-Lin
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:55 am

User avatar Hi amicyco2,
Psychological disorders are treated and symptoms are under control, not cured. If you are having feelings of a need to "cut yourself" when dealing with stressful situations I would certainly say that your symptoms are not under control. I would strongly suggest that you contact a physician/therapist for not only a suitable medication regimen that would be beneficial to you but also for suggestions on stress relieving techniques that will assist you during the most stressful periods in your life. Again, I would strongly suggest that you contact a physician for some assistance before you are faced with a situation and cause harm to yourself.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us