Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Am I cured from depression?

amicyco2 - Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:07 am

I had been diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder, severe depression with psychotic episodes since 1997. I have been hospitalized many times over the years and am supposed to take several medications daily (ie. celexa, topomax, abilify, wellbrutrin and visteril). For the past 3 months I haven't taken any meds and am feeling ok without any hallucinations or hearing voices as in the past. My depression has lessened, but I still feel the need to cut myself occasionally if I'm under alot of stress or feel out of control. I quit going to my therapist since I felt she wasn't helping much and am now wondering if I'm cured or only just kidding myself. I hate taking all those pills everyday and my stomach feels better since I stopped. The psychiatrist claims that I'd never be able to live normally without medication, but I feel fine right now so I don't know who to believe or what to do. I don't want to endanger anybody or myself, but I would like to go on with my life without the use of daily drugs.

Thank you
Lin-Lin
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:55 am

User avatar Hi amicyco2,
Psychological disorders are treated and symptoms are under control, not cured. If you are having feelings of a need to "cut yourself" when dealing with stressful situations I would certainly say that your symptoms are not under control. I would strongly suggest that you contact a physician/therapist for not only a suitable medication regimen that would be beneficial to you but also for suggestions on stress relieving techniques that will assist you during the most stressful periods in your life. Again, I would strongly suggest that you contact a physician for some assistance before you are faced with a situation and cause harm to yourself.