Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Abused by family members - misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder?

 ketchup - Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:35 am

I was abused by my father, uncle, brothers, and cousins all my childhood. This is physically, emotionally, verbally,mentally, and sexually. I then married my first husband in 1990. He was abusive in all those ways bar none. He cheated on me alot, even with my sister. When I confronted him about it, he told me I was crazy, so I believed him. I checked myself into a mental hospital which told me nothing was wrong with me. He then, a year later, told me something was wrong with me and those doctors were quacks. So I began seeing our local community counseling. They diagnosed me as having bi-polar disorder and put me on meds. I felt so out of it. But I was told to stay on the meds no matter what or my husband would leave me and take the kids. Well, eventually he did. I kept the kids. One day, after leaving the children with my brother and sister in law, I asked my soon to be ex to go with me to pick them up. He agreed that would be nice. All seemed well until I mentioned changing the girls school and moving to my brothers' property. My husband went crazy and pulled off the road. He asked me if I was on my meds, I said yes even though they make me feel awful. He then said well they arent working and told me to get out of the truck. I refused, so he punched me in the head and then pulled me out of the truck, then proceeded to drive off saying " you'll never see the kids again". I remember trying to take a few adavan I had to calm down. Then I went across the highway to a house and used the phone to call a friend to bring my car to me so I could stop my husband. She did, but after getting into the car I only remember telling her what happened then I must have gone uncounsious. I awoke in a hospital being told I had attempted suicide and was forced to sign temporary custody order to my husband . These doctors didnt believe me about what happened because I had been diagnoses as bi-polar. After, losing my children I decided the meds were clouding my judgement so I got off of them. I felt better in weeks, and have not taken any since. I am never depressed, worried or concerned, but not depressed. I do not have any spending sprees, or feel overly happy for no reason. I don't even fit the profile of bi polar. My question is, is it possible I just have post tramatic stress disorder or maybe even just had a rough couple of years full of events that made me seem bi polar? The counselor had my history and seen there was abuse. This all occured back in 2001-2002. It is 2005 and I still have no symptoms, I live a very happy new marriage, and I even cope with the fact I only see my children every other weekend and that their father is now abusive with them and so is their stepmom. I want to help my children, but the lawyer keeps getting stuck on the fact I was diagnosed as bi polar and that I am mentally ill.. If I was bi polar and had suicidal tendencies, wouldnt I have done something by now>?? And if I am not perhaps bi polar, How do I get the diagnosis overturned? Thanks for any answers or input. And please forgive me for the long story. I felt it was neccessary to get to the point.
 dsjeya - Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:04 pm

u definitely need professional help
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:10 pm

User avatar Seek another psychiatrist for a second opinion.

After evaluation, take the documentation to your laywer.

take the children to a psychiatrist for an evaluation also because you say their father is abusive to them as well.

If the new psychiatrist clears you of mental disease, that is a step in the right direction to regain custody. If you are diagnosed with a dosease, then make sure you follow the medication or therapy regimine perfectly, and keep documentation to give to family court to prove you are taking medication and tell them you are doing all the nessessary steps to regain custody.
 ketchup - Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:35 pm

I appreciate your replies. Thank you for your time and your advice.God bless!
 ketchup - Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:50 pm

dsjeya, could you please elaborate on that reply? Is there anything in particular you would suggest?
 lilysuzanne - Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:48 am

It sounds to me like you are around crazy people who enjoy messing with your head, you were misdiagnosed by a psychiatrist who probably talked to y u o for 15 minutes, and then you o.d.ed on the pescription drugs. If you can afford a lawyer I would get one, sue the doctor who misdiagnosed you and move as far away from those people as possible.And then get counseling, to make sure y ou are o.k.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us