Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Schizophrenic or schizotypic? (long)

fever - Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:30 pm

In highschool I used to use recreational drugs, and about four years ago I tried a hallucinigen for the first time. It was psilocyn mushrooms. The day after I felt incredibly different, and it was like it hadn't worn off. For the next few months I didn't try it again, but I still consumed marijauna regularly, and I would hear voices and feel very agoraphoic. I never really saw anything as I would see a normal object, and I never really had mental visions or anything of that sort, but my vision is dimmed it seems like. I had feelings of disconnection with my body at times as well for a few weeks after.

Anyway, I stopped smoking, and so I didn't hear anything anymore, except indistinguishable noise when I was trying to fall asleep at night sometimes. Since maybe two and a half years ago I haven't had that.

For the year afterward I thought people could hear my thoughts, and so I tried to base my thoughts around not thinking insulting, comprimising things. This seemed to make my thoughts erratic, the pressure I mean, because I started having thoughts that I would be embarrassed to have people hear if it was true they could. They centered around homosexuality, but I think I got the idea to torment myself like that from the sexual abuse earlier in my childhood. So anyway after a year of this I finally got the courage to ask someone if they could indeed, and the courage made me a bit more rational I guess, because decided obviously they couldn't. I haven't been deluded such a way since.

Now my question is what do they consider this? I do not have any of the symptoms like that I would associate with schizophrenia anymore, but I'm aware that other symptoms may include social fears, shyness, bizarre behavior, lack of concentration. I do have these, but I have mostly associated it with general shyness. Should I be looking to this as a possibility as well? I have never been satisfied with my life being shy and everything. If it is because of this then maybe are there ways to help it, which I wouldn't have looked to because I didn't consider the reason?

Please answer.
-crashing dreams
 lilysuzanne - Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:55 am

drug induced psychosis' can mimmick the symptoms of schizophrenia,drugs can affect your thinking for a long time after you take them. I suggest you don't do any drugs or the symptoms, hearing voices, delusions,personality change may become permanent.You probably should get help for the sexual abuse as a child. I am so sorry that happened, anyone would need help with that. It is never a childs fault, NEVER!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us