Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Aspergers syndrome

lilysuzanne - Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:15 am

My nephew has been diagnosed with AS. I am confused by the PDD diagnosis' . I have read they are not mental illness, mental retardations or brain disease. It is neurobiological . What would nerves and organism synrome be classified as.? I am missing the jist of it. Also, do you think it is the same as autism. .Some do, some don't some say it is a behavioral developmental order.
 Michele P, RN - Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:19 am

Hi Lilysuzanne,

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I will give you here what Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, (known as Asperger's Disorder or Autistic Psychopathy), & Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) are here:

Asperger's, Autistic Psychopathy & Pervasive Developmental Disorder are characterized by severe impairment in social interaction, repetitive patterns of behavior, & interests.

Autistic children have delays in language or self help skills, which differ from what is listed above.

AD, AP & PDD are more common in boys & onset is later than what is seen in Autism, or at least picked up on later, around ages 6-10. Since AD is not easily recognizable, it sometimes gets confusd with other neurological disorders such as Tourette's Syndrome, autism, Attention Deficit (&hyperactivity) disorders (ADD & ADHD), or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

There are criteria that need to be met in order to "classify" a person w/a disorder. I have all this in a book at home, but was able to locate it on a website. I compared the 2 & they are reading the same but this being in simpler terms. If you read through to the bottom, it will show you the criteria for PDD diagnosing vs Autism.

http://www.bbbautism.com/diagnostics_psychobabble.htm

I hope between that site & what I have given you that answers your question. Best of luck :)
 lilysuzanne - Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:42 am

Thank you MissNurseM,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us