Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Side effects of Anti Depressants - Loss of libido

gopal2903 - Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:55 am

I am having unipolar depressions for last 20 years and I am on sertraline 100 mg for last 4-5 years.

I am feeling loss of libido. Can this be a side effect of the medicine.

I am also taking anti anxiety Alprex .25 with Serta

I am 53

Please advise
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:52 am

User avatar Sertraline can and often does cause loss of libido and difficulty in reaching orgasm. Did you notice any changes in libido when you began the medication? Usually these side effects show quickly after beginning the medication and usually do not go away while being treated, so it is unlikely but not impossible that your lack of libido is due to your medication after 4 years.

At your age, it is common to start losing libido and/or have erectile dysfunction. These problems can have many causes including high blood pressure, certain medications for high blood pressure, diabetes, and decreasing production of testosterone.

I suggest you have a thorough physical and a total and free testosterone level done to rule out other possibilities.