Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Anxiety? Gag reflex

 JN - Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:22 pm

This is a post (below) that I copied from the Gastroenterology forum. I suffer from the EXACT same thing for the past 13 years (I'm 29).
I was wondering if anybody could help out. Dr prescribed Welbutrin and I have taken for the past month and haven't seen any changes. Really not sure what direction to go. Thanks.

This is a problem I have had off and on since maybe the 3rd grade. I am constantly holding back the urge to gag, and if continued eventually vomit. I would compare the feeling to being on a big date and not being able to eat without feeling sick. Most of the times when it gets stronger I can control the problem by keeping a piece of candy in my mouth. Sharp flavours seem to distract it... but i have to use them sparingly because they will quickly lose their effect. It is worst in stressful situations like giving a speech.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:59 am

User avatar Hi JN,
Stress, severe episodes of anxiety, among other conditions, may certainly cause a "lump in the throat" feeling and an over active or exaggerated gagging response. However, it is always wise when symptoms such as these present themselves to have an evaluation by your physician to assure anxiety is the causative factor.
Theresa Jones, RN
 sdfirenze - Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:38 am

I would also suggest consulting with your primary care physician as your first line of defense. If it is deemed that anxiety appears to be at the root, I would suggest consulting with a therapist to help you learn some coping strategies for identifying and managing stress and anxiety (especially if you say that things seem to get worse in situations that are stressful).

I hope that helps. Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us