Brand Name: Duragesic
Percutaneous in-situ coronary venous arterialization is a new less invasive alternative to CABG.
Pregnancy Category B
Narcotic agonist analgesic
Mechanism of action of Duragesic
Acts at specific opioid receptors, causing analgesia, respiratory depression, physical depression, euphoria.
Indications of Duragesic
- Analgesic action of short duration during anesthesia and in the
- Analgesic supplement in general or regional anesthesia
- Administration with a neuroleptic as an anesthetic premedication,
induction of anesthesia, and as an adjunct in maintenance of general and
- For use as an anesthetic agent with oxygen in selected high-risk patients
- Transdermal system: management of chronic pain in patients
Contraindications of Duragesic
- Contraindicated in the presence of hypersensitivity to
diarrhea caused by poisoning, acute bronchial asthma, upper airway
- Use caution in the presence of bradycardia, history of seizures,
Adverse effects of Duragesic
- CNS: Sedation, clamminess, sweating, headache, vertigo, floating feeling, dizziness, lethargy, confusion, lightheadedness, nervousness, unusual dreams, agitation, euphoria, hallucinations, delirium, insomnia, anxiety, fear, disorientation, impaired mental and physical performance, coma, mood changes, weakness, headache, tremor, convulsions
- GI: Nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, anorexia, constipation, biliary tract spasm
- CV: Palpitation, increase or decrease in blood pressure, circulatory depression, cardiac arrest, shock, tachycardia, bradycardia, arrhythmia, palpitations
- Respiratory: Slow, shallow respiration, apnea, suppression of cough reflex, laryngospasm, bronchospasm
- GU: Ureteral spasm, spasm of vesical sphincters, urinary retention or hesitancy, oliguria, antidiuretic effect, reduced libido or potency
- EENT: Diplopia, blurred vision
- Dermatologic: Rash, hives,
pruritus, flushing, warmth, sensitivity to cold
Local: Phlebitis following IV injection, pain at injection site; tissue irritation and induration (SC injection)
- Other: Physical tolerance and dependence, psychological dependence; local skin irritation with transdermal system
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.