Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: Finger Pain

blckolds - Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:15 am

Suddenly I started having problems with my finger on my left hand. I started noticing swelling on the right side of my finger nail. that was the only part that hurts to touch, rest of my finger was ok. Than I just couldn't stand the pain so i was messing around the nail area and i some how cut it and this white substance came out. Than I left it alone and now the whole tip of my finger is swollen and pain is travelling down to my joint. So I was wondering could this be an infection from a hang nail? and also should I get it checked out or give it a day or two and see if it gets better? Thank you for your help!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:06 pm

An infection along the edge of the fingernail is known as paronychia.

It is commonly caused by skin bacteria that passes through the damaged skin after trauma, like nail bitting or wrong ctutting.

If the redness extends into entire finger a condition known as a felon, or an abscess is formed you have to seek direct medical care. An abscess should be drained by a doctor to attemt drain the pus at home.

Otherwise, the infection may extend down your finger into the deep tissues, if you experience difficulty to move the joints of the affected finger, you better go to hospital's emergency department immediately