Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Unexplainable pains

 Bernice Chan-Juan - Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:40 am

Hi everyone. I'm actually new here and just registered this March.
My mom's already turning 58 this year (2004). Since she was..maybe 54..., I have been hearing her complain about back aches and those things that, you know, old age seems to give. But after each year, I hear more ouches :shock: . Well, right now she complains of lots of things.
Here's my list: headache (almost everyday), backache (right outside the kidneys), lots of "bruises" (the black thing that colors the skin when you hit on something hard, although she didn't hit herself on anything), blurred vision (even with eyeglasses), sudden cramps on the knees, her left foot suddenly twists (and she fights it), swollen hands and feet, muscle cramps, stomach pains.
And one more thing, she's got a big stomach. I mean she looks like a pregnant woman even if she isn't. We've checked this with a doctor before, even had her an ultrasound, but said it was nothing.
Yeah, I know this is sooo long...but whoever read this one, thanks for having the patience to read it. I really need advice on which doctor we should visit. I just don't know where to start with all her complaints :? I'm just sooo worried about her... PLEASE SHARE SOME INFO, PLEASE...Thanks :?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:34 am

User avatar Dear Bernice,

i think that your mother should an internal medicine doctor to try to sort out the causes of all these pains. It does not sound that there is something that could be taken care of by surgeons (although there might be), but i would start by going to an internist.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us