Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: swollen fingers in cold weather

based - Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:53 pm

I don't know if this is really a medical problem, but it sort of worries me. It has been happening since I was younger, but it's more severe now.

I'm 18 years old. In the winter time, when I go out and clean off a car, or even play around in the snow for a short time with siblings.. my fingers and hands get swollen. The swelling can't be seen as much as it can be felt. My fingers get very tight, sometimes I can't bend them too much. They feel very tight and solid to the touch.

It's a really uncomfortable feeling. Sometimes it gets painful, but usually not very much, if at all.

It does happen with my toes a little, but they have to be in the cold a lot. My legs get sort of the same, but not as bad.. they get really itchy instead.

So, I dunno if any of it's common because I've never really asked anyone, it seems sort of weird to me.
 based - Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:36 am

Oh, I forgot to mention...it's usually the worst after shoveling.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us