Question: Need a medical opinion on aspartame

Lynette - Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:09 pm

I looked up aspartame on the internet and found on the American Cancer Society, American Medical Association, The Diabetes Association, The Food and Drug Administration, and a few others, that Aspartame was declared a safe sugar substitute. Then, all the people I talked to say to stay away and they don't trust it. I would like a medical opinion please?

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:22 am

User avatar Aspartame has been approved by the FDA and by the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives of the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, and the World Health Organization. These bodies have concluded that aspartame does not cause cancer or other adverse health effects in the general population (Janssen, 1988; JECFA, 1980).

Does Aspartame Cause Any Other Health Problems?

The major health concern regarding the use of aspartame pertains to people who have a rare genetic disorder called phenylketonuria. Individuals born with this disorder cannot metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine, which occurs naturally and is found in aspartame. This disorder is usually detected at birth by a routine blood test and then individuals with the disorder are placed on a phenylalanine-restricted diet. People with phenylketonuria must therefore avoid aspartame in their diets.