Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Possible Hypermobility and associated problems?

 juneminard - Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:38 pm

Hello, I am 28 yrs. old and mother of three children. I and two of my three children are very flexible and after a lttlle research I realized my children and myself are having similar symptoms though they are not suffering much as of yet. I have been having dislocations or what feels like dislocations in my knees , jaw, shoulder, and hips and my back and neck are always out of whack according to a chiropractor. We are always having leg pains and we bruise quite easily. I myself got almost no stretch marks during all three of my pregnancies and they told me i must have really elastic skin. Though now I am feeling stiffness and tightness in my right arm and hand and having wrist problems. I also get pleuritic type pains in my chest on the back under my shoulder blades and it gets hard to take even shallow breaths for days. I am also always(ALWAYS) constipated. I don't even feel the urge to defecate even after a couple of weeks.I am tired and after a little strenuous work at school I am stiff and sore and usually bruised and swelled up somewhere. My daughter is seven and had numerous ear infections, hearing problems and in my opinion she is growing very slowly(looks five and is seven) and developing (socially) slower than other children. My son who is eight is also of short stature and has the flexibility and the aches and pains but is overall healthy. We have no insurance till may but I need to know what anyone can tell me and if I need to get to a specialist for me or my children? Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks so much. [/i]
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:19 am

User avatar Hi juneminard,
I certainly hope that you and your children have had an evaluation by your physician. Just out of curiousity, there isn't a chance that there is exposure to lead based paint (type of paint typically found in older homes) is there?
Theresa Jones, RN
 juneminard - Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:04 pm

Thank you for your reply first of all, I appreciate it. Since I posted this we got insurance again and I got in to see a good doctor though as of yet I am still clueless. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done first since my doc was most concerned with those symptoms. I had a H. Pylori infection and ulcers but as of yet no fix for the constipation and no blockages causing it. The joints are still messed up and with the heat wave the pains and stiffness and swelling seem twice as bad. The kids are healthy and growing now( they have each grown two sizes in clothes) but are still extremely flexible and I am afraid what is happening to me will eventually happen to them. The question I have now is what type of doctor should I take them and myself to see without a referral that would know if this is a major problem or not? My docotor seems to think it is not that serious a problem, for me anyway but I think my constipation is caused by a muscular problem. I have read in some places that the intestines are like other muscles in the body and can be slow or stop if there are other musculoskeletal problems or diseases. Is this true? Any info you can give would be a blessing. Thanks again.
 juneminard - Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:06 pm

Almost forgot, no lead based paint that I know of. Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:37 am

User avatar Hi juneminard,
If you live in an older home, lead based paint may have been used at some point (without your knowledge) during the history of the home. If you occupy such a residence, I would first inquire about a blood test to identify if lead poisoning is the causative factor related to your symptoms. If the above is not accurate in your case with regards to the homes age, you may inquire about a referral to a Rheumatologist to identify if for example, an autoimmune disorder, etc., is present.
Theresa Jones, RN
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:04 am

User avatar Hi juneminard,
I wanted to check back and see if you and your's were doing better and inquire whether an evaluation for an autoimmune/connective tissue disorder, ie., Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome had been completed?
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us