Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: GOUT

UB - Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:13 pm

Has anyone ever lost a finger or toe to gout? Is it possible to have necrosis in a gouty digit?
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:59 pm

User avatar It´s not common. There might be the possibility of a necrosis by superinfection, but gout itself does not lead to a digit necrosis.
 UB - Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:06 pm

Thanks for responding to my inquiry Dr. Aries. I'm not sure what you mean by "superinfection" . I was referring to a severe gout attack with extreme swelling and discoloration of the little finger, body temperature normal, white blood count normal. Could such a severe episode of gout necessitate the debridement of the affected (discolored) tissue?
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:07 pm

User avatar sorry for the late reply. Yes, that might be possible. Ask, if the pathologist got the digit to analyse why the necrosis has happend.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us