Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Question: GOUT

UB - Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:13 pm

Has anyone ever lost a finger or toe to gout? Is it possible to have necrosis in a gouty digit?
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:59 pm

User avatar It´s not common. There might be the possibility of a necrosis by superinfection, but gout itself does not lead to a digit necrosis.
 UB - Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:06 pm

Thanks for responding to my inquiry Dr. Aries. I'm not sure what you mean by "superinfection" . I was referring to a severe gout attack with extreme swelling and discoloration of the little finger, body temperature normal, white blood count normal. Could such a severe episode of gout necessitate the debridement of the affected (discolored) tissue?
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:07 pm

User avatar sorry for the late reply. Yes, that might be possible. Ask, if the pathologist got the digit to analyse why the necrosis has happend.