Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Severe Foot Pain

 mrspeach98 - Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:05 pm

I have been having severe foot pain in the left heel area. Latley I have been noticing a lot of swelling around the ankle. Can anyone tell me what this may be and what I can do about it?
 kelbi8 - Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:41 pm

Heel pain can often be caused by a condition called planter fascitis. I would recommend seeing a podiatrist. The swelling could be another matter. Do you find most of your pain when you first get out of bed or after sitting for a prolonged time? If so, chance are high of being this condition. Sometime heel inserts work, your doctor could give cortisone injections or other things to prevent pain. There are also alternatives to surgery that may help.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us