Medical Specialty >> Rheumatology

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/21/2017.

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: What specialist to see?

 deb44 - Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:32 am

I'm a 44 yr old female and been feeling ill for about a month with no diagnosis. I'm not sure what specialist I should go to next? Can you please help. My problems are:

*Started over a month ago - woke up one morning with above eyelid swelling in one eye. (went away)
*Next night woke up in middle of night with upper lip swelling - went to ER - said it was allergic reaction.
and treated with epi, benedryl, and steroid
*Next day pain in back - went to dr. said I had UTI and put on antibiotics
*couple days later - lip swelled during day for about 2 hours went away (can't find a common food or allergen?)
*Few days later woke up feeling VERY fatigued, weak, palpitations, stomach pain on right side and some on left side, numbness in lips and mouth - went to ER - couldn't find anything - did a CAT scan of head and bloodwork.
**Ever since then I have felt VERY fatigued - cannot hardly do anything (things I normally do., weak, cannot eat much - naucious feeling (lost 12 lbs in 2 wks) tingly in fingers, toes. Intolerant to cold, cold fingers, headaches - history of migraines, also back of head pain and neck and jaw feel funny, I feel like my head is "heavy" but at the same time I feel lightheaded and dizzy. Also, have gastro symptoms - burning pain top of stomach, lots of gurgling, constipation on and off. Extremely irratable, loud noises bother me. Muscle sensations and twitches. Also, have trouble concentrating and I keep forgeting alot (more than normal) Sometimes I actually start to feel pretty good and then I get a "spell" where I start feeling weird and then feel bad the rest of the day.

Doctors been to: Primary Doctor - bloodwork turned up normal
Allergist: did bloodwork again - normal. not done allergy testing yet.
Cardiologist: Stress test, ECG, ultrasound of heart and gallbladder, hide a scan on gallbladder, bloodwork - everything came back normal. (hemoglobin a llittle high?)

My primary said to see a Rheumatologist and my cardiologies said to see a Gastroentologist? So, where do I go from here? Also - seeing my symptoms do you have any ideas - I would like to find the answer so I can get back to a normal life.
Thank you very much!!
 deb44 - Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:40 am

I forgot to mention above about the cardiologist said I had Mitral Valve Prolapse. But it should not be causing all these symtoms and it came on suddenly?
 deb44 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:19 pm

I have not received an answer yet - but have an additional question. My blood glucose level has been showing in the normal range (high end though) does not definately mean I do not have Diabetes? Reason - I have most symptoms - fatigue, extreme thirst, frequent urination, tingling, weight loss, and loss of appetite. PLEASE let me know what you think.
 CelticLabyrinth - Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:28 am

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but have they done a glucose tolerance test (where you drink the sugary stuff) to rule out diabetis or just a fasting glucose test? The glucose tolerance test is a bit more sensitive... If it is a diabetis then an endocrinologist would probably be very helpful, and if you have prediabetis i believe they can also treat that with medications.

Best wishes
 deb44 - Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:24 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not done a glucose tolerance test. My blood sugar test is of course normal. I might try an endocrinologist.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us